In 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip arrived at Sydney Cove he bought along Australia’s first grape vines from Brazil and the Cape of Good Hope. Australian wine today express the enormous diversity of the people who craft them and the unique regional characteristics they express.
Australia's proud wine history
- New South Wales was the site of Australia's first vineyard and winery, established in the early 1800s.
- South Australia is home to some of the worlds' oldest vines, dating back to the 1850s.
- More than 60 designated wine regions produce in excess of 100 different grape varieties.
- Queensland has recently experienced a winemaking renaissance.
- Victoria is renowned for its diversity of climates and regions.
- Tasmania produces some of the worlds most exciting cool climate wines.
- Western Australia is famous for great wines from stunning locations.
- Chardonnay, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon are the top 3 varieties crushed.
- Australia has world-renowned wine research and educational facilities.
- Influenced by European and Asian immigrants, Australia’s food and wine culture encourages innovation and excellence.